Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tania Damiano - Activity 9 - Why Blog if no one reads it?

http://onlytheblogknowsbrooklyn.com/category/civics-and-urban-life/

This blog was amazing. The post up “Bensonhurst Explorations in Pizza” was awesomeee! Besides having amazing pictures of pizza that made me ridiculously hungry, it reminded me so much of the time we went on the “group field trip” and how we ate in Astor Place and at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory right under the Brooklyn Bridge. We, well I, didn’t take amazing pictures of our food or ice cream, for that matter, but the point is that this blog reminded me of that day and how much fun we had. I also love “New Billboards Say: Drink WAT-AAH” because I am absolutely how New Yorkers, mainly the bloggers of course, find so many things fascinating. I remember that that same day when our group went out, we were taking pictures of posters or art work all over the street, talking about it, sometimes laughing, sometimes thinking, and sometimes noticing how messed up it all was.

http://savannahurbanstudies.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-03-22T19%3A27%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=1

Digital Tourism in Savannah “...such things [beauty and charm of the Savannah's historic district] do not guarantee that tourism in Savannah will prevail in the 21st century. The characters of tourists in the 21st century differ from those in previous centuries. The rapid technology changes transform the characters of tourists and subsequently change the demand of tourism.”
I wanted to comment in how much NYC and Savannah, GA are different. I don’t think ANYTHING could ever stop tourism in NYC. NO technology, no changes in people. New York City will always be the amazing, bright, full of life city and nothing beats that. Although I love quiet, suburban areas with lots of green areas, I always grew up in the city- in the capital, center of all attraction, in Uruguay (my country of birth) and I’ve lived in Queens and travelled back and forth to Manhattan for ten years now. What’s more, while tourism in Savannah may be dropping as people become less interested, no tourist seizes to be amazed at the beauty and greatness of New York City, babyyyy!!!!

http://johnson.blogs.nytimes.com/ ****

The City as Fortress:
“There are good reasons, as I’ve discussed over the past few weeks, to preserve urban density. But that density creates an opportunity for terrorism; it’s not an accident that the most high-profile European and American attacks of the past few years have all targeted emblems of metropolitan living: subways, commuter trains and office buildings.”
Terrorism will exist wherever, whenever. It’s obvious that attacks will occur where there are the most people. The purpose, I assume, of a terrorist attacking is to kill as many people as possible and cause as much suffering they possibly can. Why attack the empty state of Wyoming when NYC is packed with people? I agree with the blog as a whole and I found it very interesting since it is not much I pay attention to. Steven Johnson here, after a long explanation of terrorism in NY, London and Madrid claims that whatever the situation, “it’s not worth building fortress cities, or giving up on the idea of density altogether” and I completely back this up. I never been to Madrid or London, but I can speak from experience about NYC. It is this diverse urban density that makes the city so great.

http://www.newcolonist.com/

The New York Flaneurs: “I sadly believe, however, that the New York "flaneur" is a dying breed. You can tell by the rapidity of movement, the glazed looks, even the quickness and carelessness with which we tear down old beautiful buildings to replace them with bland facades of dull white brick.”
Oh the lovely Flaneurs! The very first work in learned in Urban Studies Class. I loved reading this blog. Sadly I couldn’t comment on it (strangely, there was no “comment” button anywhere.) It’s great how the people that have not been in NYC for as much as I have and caught up with the hype of this city notice how fast everything moves here. I remember when we did the first activity “on being a Flaneur” how different it was from being part of the action of what seems speed walking to every person not in as much hurry as the rest of the city is. I agree with David Willems (author of this blog) how “the New York "flaneur" is a dying breed.” It’s totally true. The movement of NYC doesn’t allow for just walking around and observing. If you are born and raised a New Yorker, you miss out all of the amazing things this city has to offer. I was not born or raised here, but I caught up fast to the lifestyle. My mom constantly reprimands me for losing my sense of awe that I had when I first arrived. I know that my teammate Zack is utterly fascinated with everything he sees everywhere he goes because he hasn’t been here long. This sense of awe is lost by all New Yorkers that’s why the flaneurs there are “a dying breed.”

http://newyorkdailyphoto.blogspot.com/

White Sauce: “One of the extraordinarily fascinating facets of New York City life is the ethnic concentration that you often find in various businesses and enterprises. And one of those enjoyed by all is the cuisine. This is what makes New York a literal smorgasbord of delectable food from all corners of the globe and one of the biggest allures of the city to visitors.’
I just love how New Yorkers have that intense need to have one comment or the other about its food. Being the diverse city that it is, you find any kind of food at mostly any corner. This blog is all about the Halal Food Indian Carts that are located in almost every corner. I laughed while reading it because there is two right by Hunter- one right in front of Hunter West and another one around the corner. And more so in Manhattan than any other borough, you find not only these carts but so many other foods, for all likes, from all origins. I was amazed by this, too, when I first arrived to New York. The diversity of people and life shocked me since I was so used to the same old every day for my ten young years in Uruguay.

No comments:

Post a Comment