Friday, February 19, 2010

Maya Jourieh Activity 2

The point of this activity was to have made a visit to somewhere someone had told me to go, and so I did. This journey had started me off in an area that I am rather familiar with and had spent most my summer days walking the streets of what has become to be known as China Town. I was told to make a visit to Elizabeth Center. Now, although, I felt as if I knew this area like the back of my hand, I was astonished to come across such a popular site I had not even knew existed.
This was my first visit to Elizabeth Center, located on Elizabeth Street in China Town of New York City. It was at the end of Elizabeth Street and surrounded by what seemed to be empty, old buildings and Asian restaurants. This had reminded me of when Jane Jacobs brought up how we differentiate sidewalks from being safe or not. I had decided that it would be safe, seeing that there were people around. As it turned out, Elizabeth Center is a small mall, most of it is located underground, giving it it’s street name China Town’s “Underground Mall”. In this mall are small shop such as salons, studios, game shops, and etc.
Elizabeth Center had reached some of my expectations. Its shopper’s consisted mainly those of Asian decent, most like due to it’s location. It had stores just like every other mall as well; however, not all the stores were of those that one would find in an everyday common mall. Elizabeth Center’s lower level consisted mainly of shops aimed at younger shoppers, such game shops, toy stores, and etc, and its upper floors’ shops consisted of small boutiques, a photo shop studio, and etc. I had expected most of what I seen, I did not however expect it to be as empty as it was nor the area it was it.
I came to a self-proclaimed conclusion that places like Elizabeth center would normally be located in urban areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment