Thursday, February 25, 2010






CAITLIN BUTLER PUBLIC VS. PRIVATE



The place that I went to visit was midtown. I walked around 38th to 28th street. The first thing I did was walk around, looking at all the people and different shops. I went on Friday at about 3pm. It was pretty crowded and everybody was in a rush. Typical New York City. It was very nice out. Thank God it was not raining. The first place I went was inside a wholesale jewelry store on 37th and 6th avenue. That street is literally filled with wholesale shops. I noticed that when I went inside they had to buzz me from inside to let me in. That right there tells me that this particular store was private because they control who comes in into their store. Also it’s private because you must buy at least more than one item. Sometimes they won’t let you buy anything unless you purchase about 10 things. I personally do not like that because I feel like I am being forced to buy many things especially when I do not need or want that many things. That would be private because again you cannot just buy one item, but are forced to buy more than one. So I got out of that store very quickly. Then I decided to go into the 34th street Manhattan mall. The mall to me would be considered public and private. It’s public because it welcomes everyone to go in, but there are some signs in the mall that restricts people from doing certain things such as smoking. It’s also private because if one thinks about it there are all different stores in this one big building, which is the mall and different companies and people own each individual store. That to me also makes the mall a private place. From there I went walking back to 40th street to visit Bryant Park. I sometimes walk my dogs there and I like that park because in there for the most part are friendly. If you sit down by the grass, people will actually start talking to you. It’s very friendly. Or at least for me it is. Like Jane Jacobs said it’s vital for people to have gathering places where they can communicate with one another. This park is the perfect public gathering spot to chat in. With all the technology today, people are being dumbed down in how to speak with one another. I just think it is really sad that we as people are so hung up on technology the most. My Grandmother doesn’t even know how to use a computer. In her generation things were very different compared to mine. In her generation they did not have advanced computers like today and everything was done in a simple matter. Communication with people was easier to do in her generation than mine, because of less technology in her generation. The park is definitely a public place where literally anyone could go in. After the park I walked to an Irish pub bar on 38th street. I would consider this bar/restaurant private because a person owns it. This of course makes it very private, but then makes it public gathering space because it invites almost everyone in to drink and talk. It doesn’t allow bums and homeless people to come in. If I owned a bar, I definitely would not let in homeless or bums in. Finally I went to visit Lord and Taylors on 38th and 5th avenue. I would consider that to be public. Anyone can just walk in it. But they do have security guards there to watch what is happening at all times, so I am sure if a homeless man came in, that would not be tolerated. I went again to visit all these places on a weekday as well. I went on a Thursday. It was less crowded compared to a Friday. All the shops were less crowded because most people would shop on the weekends when they would not be working. But I know that I would shop during the weekdays too! I think places should have more public gathering spots. I do not think there are enough in my personal opinion. I would like to see more places where people could go and sit down just to talk to other people. It would be a great way just to meet and greet with one another. The more friends the better! I think for a place to be public, it has to welcome everyone inside and if the store, etc. does not include a buzzer to get in its shops, then that also makes a place a public place and not private. For a place to be private, it either has to have signs that tell you it is and if it does not let everyone in. Also ownership over a certain place allows for something to be private. If someone owns something of their own, then they are entitled to either make their place public or private. All I know is that the city is full of both public and private places. That is what makes the city so great! There is literally something for everyone there. The city is the best place to offer that to people. I prefer public places over private places because everyone can be welcomed to a bigger atmosphere that includes everyone in it, and not just one particular group. Overall, public gathering spaces can become a whole cultural experience for all people of race, color and gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment